CROSS TRAINING FOR THE BIKE
by Matt Powell, West Fourth Physiotherapy Clinic
Want to be a better cyclist? The road to better cycling goes through the gym (true) but there are other ways for those who don’t like the gym. One of my favourite cross trainers is trail running, a terrific way to improve your all round fitness in ways that will translate to performance improvements on your bike.
Consider these three categories:
- Power transfer
- Cardiovascular intensity
- Hip Work
2014 CYPRESS CHALLENGE - WILL YOU VOLUNTEER?
Feel good about yourself, meet awesome people and make a difference.
Every August, hundreds of cyclists challenge themselves in the Glotman•Simpson Cypress Challenge, a 12km hill climb, for pancreatic cancer research. 2013 saw an unprecedented number of participants in the Cypress Challenge raising over $400,000 for pancreatic cancer research. We can't wait to continue building on this success in 2014. But we can’t do this alone – we need help from people like you.
We’re looking for volunteers for the 7th Annual Cypress Challenge, occurring on August 16, 2014 on Cypress Mountain. We’d love volunteers to help us with the following:
- Cypress Challenge Committee: Requires a time commitment with weekly meeting starting late April thru August 2014.
- Event day Volunteer on August 16th, 2014
- Poster / Postcard distribution to Cycling Clubs and bike shops in the lower mainland.
- Passionate about something? Have a cool skill? Are you really good at something? Unsure if you’ll be a help to us? Don’t hesitate, let us know!
Riding in the event? No problem, we have tons of options available so you can ride, fundraise and volunteer! Don’t have the time or can’t commit? We understand but please forward this call for volunteers to two people who may be interested in volunteering for a great local event and a fantastic cause.
If you are interested in volunteering please contact Ratha Song at firstname.lastname@example.org
“You cannot get through a day without having an impact on the world. What you do makes a difference. You have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”
- Jane Goodall
2014 AGM & SPRING KICK-OFF NEXT WEEK
WHERE: St. Regis Hotel (map)
WHEN: Tuesday April 8, 2014 6:30 - 9 PM
Food and beverages will be available for sale (at your own expense)
Expect to hear about:
- 2014 club rides, special rides, race calendar and other social events
- 2014 Skills Clinics
- 2014 Cypress Challenge Information
- Meet the Board, sponsors, new riders, and racers
- and more...
Please feel free to bring any friends or family curious about Glotman Simpson Cycling. This is a great time to meet others and learn about the year ahead.
PRE-ORDERED KIT PICK-UP & FREE JERSEYS
Kit pick-up will be available after the AGM next Tuesday. This includes:
- All pre-ordered kit that has not yet been picked up.
- FREE Club jerseys for those that registered their Club Membership before February 8, 2014.
We will open up the clothing order once again on Monday April 7th and keep it open for two weeks. Once that order window closes the typical production time is 4-5 weeks. This order will include FREE Club jerseys for everyone who registered their membership after February 8th.